We are The Players’ Tribune, Inc., the owner and operator of the websites located at www.theplayerstribune.com and www.playerstribune.com, (collectively, the “Site”). References to “Players’ Tribune”, “we”, “us” or “our” are references to the Players’ Tribune Inc. References to our “Services” are references to the Site and our associated services, social media channels, features, content, events and applications. We also have a UK company, the Players’ Tribune Limited, which acts as our EU representative. Any terms we use in this policy without defining them have the definitions given to them in the EEA Terms of Service or applicable user agreement.
- What Personal Information Do We Collect and How Do We Use It?
- With Whom Do We Share Personal Information?
- What Is Our Legal Basis For Using Your Personal Information?
- For How Long Do We Keep Your Personal Information?
- We May Transfer Your Personal Information Outside The European Economic Area
- What Privacy Rights Do I Have?
- What Choices Do I Have Regarding My Personal Information?
- What If I Have Questions Or Concerns?
You have various rights in respect of our use of your Personal Information as set out in the ‘What privacy rights do I have?‘ section below. Two of the fundamental rights to be aware of are that you may:
- Ask us to stop using your personal information for direct-marketing purposes. If you exercise this right, we will stop using your personal information for this purpose; and
- Ask us to consider any valid objections which you have to our use of your personal information where we process your personal information on the basis of our, or another person’s, legitimate interests.
You can find out more information in the ‘What privacy rights do I have?’ section below
What Personal Information Do We Collect and How Do We Use It?
The Personal Information we collect enables us to manage your newsletter subscriptions, provide our Services, operate and maintain our Site, operate and maintain our mobile application, improve user experience, and ensure we are able to continue to provide content which is relevant and interesting to our users. Further information about the types of Personal Information we collect, and how we use it, is set out below.
Your Email Address: We collect your email address when you sign up to receive newsletters, updates and other email communications from us through the Services, when you sign up to use our mobile application and when you purchase merchandise. We use your email address to:
- Send you newsletters, updates and similar information which you have subscribed for;
- Tell you about changes to our Services;
- Send you confirmations, updates, security alerts, support information, and administrative messages, and otherwise facilitate your use of, and our administration and operation of, our Services;
- Request feedback; and
- Respond to and handle any questions or complaints you may have.
Information We Obtain From Third Party Social Media Accounts Such As Facebook: Occasionally, our Services will provide opportunities for users to interact with their accounts on other services, such as Facebook or Twitter. For example, our Services may enable you to “share”, “like” or post content on certain third party social networks. When you do this, the third party service will share and collect certain Personal Information about you. For more information about the type of Personal Information shared, and how to control what Personal Information those third parties collect you should read the privacy policies of the relevant third party service provider.
Technical Information About Your Computer, Device or Operating System: We automatically receive and record certain technical information about your web browser when you interact with the Services, including, for example, information about your IP address, information about the device (such as a device ID) or computer you are using, and cookie information. We use this information to direct you to the most geographically relevant version of the Services, to improve the security of our Services, and so that we can understand who is using our Services and how they are using them.
- We use first party cookies to enable our servers to recognize your web browser and tell us how and when you visit the Site or otherwise use the Services through the internet;
- We also use third party cookies to collect statistical and analytical information such as the number and frequency of visitors to our Site. This data enables us and third parties authorized by us to figure out how often individuals use parts of the Services so that we can improve user experience, and make our Services more engaging and interesting for our users; and
- We may also use technology similar to cookies such as pixel trackers. Pixel trackers are small, graphic images that are used on our Sites, on our applications and in emails (including our newsletter) relating to our Services to collect certain information and monitor user activity. For example, they are used to count visits, understand usage effectiveness and to identify if an email has been opened and acted upon, or what links you have clicked on when using our Services.
Most browsers have an option for turning off cookies, which will prevent your browser from accepting new cookies, as well as (depending on the sophistication of your browser software) allowing you to decide on acceptance of each new cookie in a variety of ways. We strongly recommend that you leave cookies active, because they enable you to take advantage of the most attractive features of the Services.
We Use Your Personal Information to Protect Our Legal Rights: We will use your personal information to protect or enforce our legal rights, or those of others. For example, we may use your Personal Information to enforce our EEA Terms of Service or to investigate and protect our users from fraudulent, abusive, inappropriate, or unlawful use of our Services.
Other Uses: We will use your Personal Information for other purposes, which we explain to you at the time we collect it. We will only do this where we have a lawful basis for doing so, including, if necessary, obtaining your consent.
We May Use Your Personal Information in Anonymised Form: We may anonymise your Personal Information so that it no longer identifies you. Once your Personal Information has been anonymised it will no longer constitute Personal Information and we may use it for any purpose.
With Whom Do We Share Personal Information?
We share your Personal Information with third parties in the following circumstances:
Business Partners: We share your personal information with our third party business partners who wish to incorporate aspects of our Services into their websites or services, or vice versa.
For example, we may share aggregated statistical information with our business partners so that we can each understand how, and how often, people use our respective services and websites. If we are running a promotion with one of our business partners, we will share your Personal Information with them in relation to that promotion.
Third Party Suppliers, Service Providers and Contractors: We share Personal Information with our third party suppliers, subcontractors, service providers, if they need access to it in order to carry out certain tasks for us.
We May Share Your Personal Information With Potential Buyers or Investors: If we ever wish to sell our business, or a part of it, or obtain investment, we will share your Personal Information with potential buyers or investors, or their professional advisors.
Information Disclosed For Our Protection and The Protection Of Others: We will share your Personal Information if we think it is necessary to:
- Comply with any applicable laws, regulation, legal processes or government requests;
- Enforce our EEA Terms of Service;
- To detect, prevent, or otherwise address fraud, security or technical issues; and
- Protect our rights, property or safety, our users and the public. This includes exchanging information with other companies and organizations for fraud protection and spam/malware prevention.
What Is Our Legal Basis For Using Your Personal Information?
We are required to ensure that we only process your Personal Information where we have a legal basis to do so. When we process your Personal Information we will only do so where at least one of the following applies:
- We need to use your Personal Information to perform our responsibilities under our contract with you (for example providing our Services);
- It is in our legitimate interests to use your Personal Information in certain circumstances. For example, it is in our legitimate interests to use your Personal Information in connection with our Services, to improve our Services, to ensure that our Services are secure, to, tell you about changes to our Services, to tell you about new services or products we are offering, for business reasons (for example to develop our business or if we are thinking of selling our business), to tell you about offers or promotions we are running and for operational purposes; and
Sometimes we may ask for your consent to use certain types of Personal Information (for example by asking you to tick an online box). In these circumstances, your consent will be our legal basis for processing your Personal Information. If you have provided consent, you may withdraw it at any time. You may do this where we give you the opportunity to do so, or by contacting us using the contact details below.
For How Long Do We Keep Your Personal Information?
In general we will only keep your Personal Information for as long as it is necessary to fulfill or achieve the purposes above. Alternatively, we may continue to use your Personal Information in anonymised form.
We may retain your Personal Information in order to protect our legal rights, or those of third party, or to comply with the law.
We May Transfer Your Personal Information Outside The European Economic Area
Whenever we transfer your Personal Information out of the European Economic Area, we will comply with applicable data protection laws. For example, we may use specific contracts approved by the European Commission that gives Personal Information the same protection it has in the European Economic Area (called the “EU Model Clauses”). Where we use providers based in the US, we may transfer Personal Information to them if they are part of the Privacy Shield Framework, which requires them to provide similar protection to Personal Information shared between the Europe and the US. To find out more about who we protect your Personal Information when we transfer it outside the European Economic Area, you may contact us using the contact details below.
What Privacy Rights Do I Have?
You have the rights to ask:
- For access to any Personal Information we hold about you;
- For erasure of the Personal Information we hold about you;
- To not have your Personal Information used for direct-marketing purposes;
- For restriction of the way that we process your Personal Information;
- For your Personal Information to be provided to a third-party provider of services;
- For a copy of any Personal Information which we hold about you; and
- To object to our processing of your Personal Information.
If you need help or wish to exercise any of the above rights or have questions about them, please contact us using the details below. We will consider all such requests and provide our response as soon as we can. Please note, however, that Personal Information may be exempt from such requests in certain circumstances, which may include needing to keep processing your Personal Information for our legitimate interests or to comply with a legal obligation. Please note that we may request you provide us with information necessary to confirm your identity.
What Choices Do I Have Regarding My Personal Information?
You can access and delete cookies through your web browser settings at any time. You can use many of the features of the Services without providing Personal Information, thereby limiting the type of information that we collect. You can always opt not to disclose certain information to us, even though it may be needed to take advantage of some of the features of our Services.
You may “opt out” of receiving any marketing or promotional messages from us by following the instructions in those messages. You may also opt out of such marketing by contacting us using the contact details below. If you opt out, we may still send you non-promotional emails.
What If I Have Questions Or Concerns?
If you have any questions or concerns you can get in touch with us using the following contact details:
You can also contact as by post at the following address: 601 West 26th Street, Suite 1435, New York, NY 10001.
We will make every effort to resolve your concerns.
You can also contract our EU representative if you need to, using the email address above, or by using the following postal address: The Players Tribune Limited, EU Representative, 6th Floor One London Wall, London, United Kingdom, EC2Y 5EB.
You may also make a complaint to the Information Commissioners Office, or the data protection regulator in the country where you usually live or work, where an alleged infringement of the General Data Protection Regulation has taken place. Alternatively, you may also seek a remedy through the courts.
Last updated: March 21, 2019